Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I knew I was going to be a mom....

I knew I was going to be a mom for the 1st time when I saw the tiny bean on the machine at the doctors office, when I heard her tiny heartbeat for the very first time. I knew I was going to be a mom when I felt her first kick inside me at just a few months along. When I walked into the hospital for the last time knowing that the next time I walked out we were taking her home with us. When I realized there was going to be 3 of us instead of 2. I knew I was officially a mom when I first held my baby girl in my arms for the very first time after 12 hours of labor. When I got to feed her for the first time. When I changed her tiny diaper for the first time. When I woke up every 3 hours for the first few weeks all night long to feed her. When I started waking up every 3 hours just to find out she was sleeping soundly and didnt need those night time feedings anymore. When I saw her first smile. When I heard her first coo. When she let out her first little giggle. When daddy would come home from work and grab her up in his arms and give her kisses and play with her to give "mom" a break. When I grabbed the camera and took 100's of pictures a day just so daddy wouldn't miss anything at work.  When she first started to roll over. When she first started to scoot. When she said her first word "dada", then "mama". When she started to walk. When she got her first tooth.

I knew I was going to be a mom for the 2nd time when I got to tell number 1 she was going to have a sister. When I treaded through the horrible morning sickness all pregnancy long, When I with stood the horrible heat and trying to squeeze into a bathing suit just to stay cool in the pool. When we had to find a sitter for number 1 while we made those countless trips to the hospital thinking that #2 was coming. When she kicked me all night and slept all day. When number 1 would lay her head on my tummy and tell #2 to come out and play. When number 1 would kiss my belly and say "luv you baby". When I went in to the hospital and knew when I went home again I was going to have 2 carseats in my backseat instead of 1. When #1 came to meet #2 for the first time and she said" ooh my baby" and poked #2 in the eye. When we came home and layed her in her crib for the first time. When #1 held #2 for the very first time. When both girls fell asleep in daddys arms, one on each side. When they were both able to mutter "I luv you mommy" as we carried the to their rooms together. When I dropped them off at their first day of school and cried as I drove away.

I knew I was going to be a mom for the 3rd time when I was told I was having a "boy". When I got to tell the girls they were getting a brother. I was a mom for the 3rd time when I held my baby boy and realized just how special he was. When I watched my husband hold his first born son and knew it was meant to be. When the girls got to hold their brother for the very first time. When #2 called him "my baby". When #1 picked him up and put him to sleep in her arms. When I was able to take a picture with all 3 of them smiling....

And here I am still "becoming a mom"... still taking her girls to school and still cuddling her new baby and wishing they stayed young forever...

I knew I was going to be a mom for the last time when I looked at my husband and said.. it's your turn and he scheduled his vasectomy.

When did you know you were going to be a 'mom'?

(this blog post was written in answer to this very question, asked on a blog I follow called: The Daily Epidurl.. a blog..moms of all stages would love and relate!)

No comments:

Post a Comment